LAPD Recruiter to come to
your school or
Click here to request more
Click here to meet a member and/or send them an email.
The Los Angeles Police Department offers an exceptional career opportunity for men and women transitioning out of the military, with excellent salaries and benefits. The LAPD offers more than 250 job assignments, unlimited opportunities for advancement, and the chance to make a difference in the community we serve.
LAPD Recruitment Division Recruiters with prior military service available to assist veteran candidates. CALL 866-444-LAPD today!
Starting Annual Salary: $49,924 to $88,247
- Receive GI Bill benefits during academy training, if eligible
- Military reserve friendly employer
- Full pay and benefits while in the academy
- Compressed work schedule (3/12's or 4/10's)
- Veterans may be eligible for military credit
- Military personnel who receive an Honorable Discharge are eligible to receive a higher starting pay, for example:
2 Years Military Experience 4 Years Military Experience 6 Years Military Experience $51,949 $53,975 $56,940
PAID MILITARY LEAVE
The LAPD provides approximately 30 days per year of full pay and benefits for LAPD personnel called to active duty military service.
PUBLIC SERVICE PURCHASE PROGRAM (PSP)
PSP is a voluntary program that allows officers who served in the military or were employed by other public agencies to purchase service credit in the pension plan.* The service credit you purchase will add to your total years of service credit and therefore, increase the monthly pension allowance that you and your qualified survivors would receive from Los Angeles Fire and Police Pensions. Click here for details.
(* subject to requirements and limitations established by ordinance)
ARMED FORCES RIBBONS AND EMBLEMS
LAPD officers that are military veterans are highly encouraged to wear their military ribbons on their LAPD uniform. LAPD authorizes military and LAPD ribbons to be worn on our LAPD class A uniform during authorized events and inspections.
LAPD TESTING AT MILITARY INSTALLATIONS
Periodically the Los Angeles Police Department military recruitment team will conduct testing at select military installations. Individuals interested in taking the written exam must have 9 months or less remaining on their enlistment at the time of the written exam. For current listing of upcoming testing with times and locations please refer to the "Military Test Sites" section on the home page of our website.
Monthly Testing takes place at:
- Camp Pendleton
Military credits (5 points) are normally given only for a five-year period following the date of separation from active duty. If you served on active duty status in the U.S military during any one of the following periods, you may qualify to have the five additional veterans points added to your Personal Qualifications Essay (PQE) score.
RESTORATION TO/EXTENSION OF ELIGIBLE LIST
Your place on the eligible list for candidate processing is based on your passing score on the written test, Personal Qualifications Essay (PQE). Should you be called to active military duty at any time in the 18-month period during which the PQE score is valid, you may request to have your eligibility (PQE Score) restored or extended for the period of time equal to the time spent on active duty but not to exceed 2 years. Honorable discharge is required.
- Persian Gulf War (August 2, 1990 to April 11, 1991)
- Bosnia Crisis (November 20, 1995 to present)
- Iraq-Kuwait Crisis (March 10, 1998 to December 22, 1998)
- Kosovo (March 24, 1999 to present)
- Operation Enduring Freedom (October 7, 2001 to present)
- Operation Iraqi Freedom (March 19, 2003 to present)
The five-year period may be extended if:
- You are permanently disabled as a result of wartime service; or
- Your spouse was disabled and unable to work or died as a result of wartime service; or
- You were a full-time student or trainee after you were separated from the service. You will not qualify for an extension if you were working full-time during the training or education, or if you were paid to attend the training or education (other than GI Benefits).
If you meet the above requirements, you must submit a copy of your DD Form 214 Member 4 and other suitable proof verifying that: you are permanently disabled as a result of wartime service; your spouse died or is unable to work as a result of wartime service; you were hospitalized after you were separated from active duty due to service-connected disability and which shows the dates you were hospitalized; or you were a student or trainee and have documentation which shows the dates of your education (including courses and the number of units) or training.
Contact the Personnel Department's Public Safety Bureau at (213) 473-9060 for information on document submission.
Want more information? Contact an LAPD recruiter:
866-444-LAPD (866-444-5273) or firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Los Angeles Personnel Department, The Los Angelees Police Department.
All rights reserved.